46: Unveiling of Loftus War Memorial – Saturday, 11th November 1922. Built by Mr. C. Hebditch the Celtic Cross, made of Cornish granite, stands on a site in the High Street donated by Lord Zetland. Mrs. G. Locker and Mr. W. Hoggarth D.C.M. performed the unveiling of the monument that commemorates the dead of the First World War. The total cost of £815 was raised by donations and collections. Sir Hugh Bell was guest speaker and a contingent of Green Howards and people of all religious denominations attended the ceremony. In the background can be seen Olivers buildings – a house and a coachhouse, a butcher’s shop and three cottages which were owned by the Catholic Church and later demolished. The dead of the Second World War were later commemorated on the monument.
From “Loftus in old picture postcards” by Jean Wiggins. Reproduced by permission.
(the eagle-eyed among you may notice that the photograph is, in fact, reversed. Others in the same series of photographs were treated similarly and were rendered that way by the postcard’s publishers)